We present to you the list of top nursing colleges in South Africa, registered with the South African Nursing Council (SANC). Do you want to become a nurse? You can get the knowledge and skills required, as this list include private nursing education institutions, public nursing colleges, and universities approved to give nursing training.
The field of nursing is a rewarding and fulfilling profession, and the demand for highly skilled nurses is growing. Today, there’s an increased interest in this profession, making the choice of a top-quality nursing institution more important than ever.
We have written about the best nursing schools in Ontario, Canada, and if you’re looking to enter the nursing profession or to advance your nursing education in South Africa, you have a range of excellent options to choose from.
In this article, we will guide you through some of the top nursing colleges in South Africa for the year 2023. We will delve into what each institution offers, highlighting key features that make each unique. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced practitioner seeking to expand your skills, this list will help you find the best fit for your career aspirations.
Remember, choosing a nursing school isn’t just about the reputation—it’s about finding an institution that aligns with your career goals, learning style, and lifestyle.
SANC is an abbreviation for the South African Nursing Council, which regulates nursing and advocates for the public. One of the Nursing Council’s tasks is to accredit nursing education institutes (NEIs) and the training programs offered by those institutions. These functions are delegated to the Council by legislation.
Section 42 of the Nursing Act, 2005 makes it illegal for any institution in South Africa to provide education and/or training aimed at qualifying a person to practice as a nurse or a midwife unless both the institution and the program of education and training are accredited by the South African Nursing Council.
List of Accredited Nursing Colleges In South Africa Registered With SANC
Let’s explore the list of accredited nursing colleges in South Africa in 2023.
1. Mpilo Royal College
Mpilo Royal College has been shaping the nursing profession for years, and 2023 is no different. The college offers various programmes, including basic nursing courses and advanced diplomas. What sets Mpilo Royal apart is its commitment to practical training, ensuring that students graduate with the hands-on experience needed to excel in their nursing careers.
- Location: 21 Kruis St, Marshalltown, Johannesburg, 2001, South Africa
- College Website: mrche.co.za
2. Future Nurses Nursing School (FNNS)
The Future Nurses Nursing School (FNNS) is one of the best private nursing colleges in South Africa, and it stands out due to its innovative and forward-thinking approach to nursing education. The school’s curriculum is designed to match the latest trends in healthcare, ensuring students are ready for the future of nursing. FNNS also offers flexible learning schedules, making it ideal for students juggling their studies with other commitments.
- Location: 20 Angus St, Germiston South (Industries E A), Bedfordview, 1401, South Africa
- College Website: futurenursesnursingschool.co.za
Related: List of Public Universities in South Africa
3. Life College of Learning
The Life College of Learning is part of the Life Healthcare Group, one of the largest private hospital groups in South Africa. As a student here, you’ll have access to state-of-the-art facilities and get the chance to learn from seasoned professionals in the field. The college offers a variety of courses, from diplomas to advanced degrees, and prides itself on its high student success rate.
- Location: Room 5, Park 13, Denneboom Rd, Wapadrand, Pretoria, 0050, South Africa
- College Website: lifehealthcare.co.za
4. University of Pretoria’s Department of Nursing Science
The Department of Nursing Science at the University of Pretoria is a highly respected institution known for its rigorous academic programmes. Offering undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degrees in nursing science, the department is dedicated to producing highly competent and research-driven nursing professionals.
The blend of theoretical and practical learning ensures that graduates are well-equipped to handle the challenges of the healthcare sector.
- Location: Lynnwood Rd, Hatfield, Pretoria, 00027, South Africa
- College Website: up.ac.za
5. NetCare Faculty of Nursing and Ancillary Healthcare (FNAH)
The NetCare Faculty of Nursing and Ancillary Healthcare (FNAH) is part of Netcare Group, South Africa’s largest private healthcare provider. FNAH focuses on holistic training, blending medical knowledge with empathetic patient care. The faculty offers a variety of nursing courses and also provides students with opportunities to gain hands-on experience in Netcare’s network of hospitals.
- Location: 2 Bunting Road, Auckland Park, Johannesburg, 2010, South Africa
- College Website: netcare.co.za
Related: Top 10 Cheapest Universities in South Africa
6. Ann Latsky Nursing College
Founded in 1951, Ann Latsky Nursing College has a rich history of producing top-notch nursing professionals. The college offers a variety of nursing programmes and is known for its focus on community nursing.
Here, students learn to provide compassionate care, not just in hospital settings, but also in community environments, making it an ideal choice for those interested in public health nursing.
- Location: No 37 Plunkett Ave, Hurst Hill, Johannesburg, 2092, South Africa
- College Website: annlatskynursingcollege.co.za
7. UKwazi School of Nursing
UKwazi School of Nursing is a private nursing school that prides itself on its high standards of education and training. The school offers a range of nursing courses, from basic to advanced levels, and has a reputation for producing competent, confident, and compassionate nurses. Students at UKwazi benefit from modern training facilities and a supportive learning environment, which aids in their overall professional development.
- Location: 6 Kingfisher St, Horison Park, Roodepoort, 1724, South Africa
- College Website: ukwazi.co.za
Related: Top 10 Cheapest Universities in USA for Nigerian Students
8. AHC Nursing College
AHC Nursing College stands out for its commitment to individual student success. The college offers a range of nursing programmes, and the curriculum is designed to be as practical as it is theoretical.
This balance ensures that students are not only well-versed in nursing knowledge but are also equipped with practical skills needed for the job. AHC places a strong emphasis on individual student support and guidance, fostering an environment that encourages personal and professional growth.
9. Lilitha College of Nursing
Lilitha College of Nursing is unique in its approach to nursing education, focusing on developing not just skilled professionals, but also empathetic caregivers. The college offers a variety of nursing programmes, from diplomas to degrees, and is known for its commitment to rural healthcare.
At Lilitha, students are given the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in rural healthcare settings, equipping them with unique skills and insights that are highly valued in the healthcare industry.
- Location: Port Elizabeth Campus, 58 Park Dr, Central Gqeberha, 6001, South Africa.
- College Website: Lilithacollege.co.za
10. University of The Free State’s School of Nursing
The University of the Free State’s School of Nursing is a renowned institution known for its rigorous academic curriculum and its research contributions to the nursing field. The school offers a variety of nursing programmes, including undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degrees.
The curriculum combines theoretical learning with practical clinical training, ensuring that graduates are ready for the complex and dynamic healthcare environment. Furthermore, the school’s strong research focus provides students with the opportunity to contribute to advancements in the nursing field.
- Location: 205 Nelson Mandela Dr, Park West, Bloemfontein, 9301, South Africa
- College Website: usf.ac.za
Related: Top 10 Best Community Colleges In Canada for International Students
Full List of Private Nursing Education Institutions Registered With SANC to Offer Nursing Programmes
- Netcare Education Pty Ltd Gauteng South-West Campus
- Life College of Learning – East Rand Learning Center
- Khanyisa Nursing School
- Life College – Cape Town Learning Center
- Life College of Learning – Bay View Learning Center
- Medi-Clinic Learning Center (Tygervalley)
- Netcare Education – Cape Town
- Life College of Learning – West Rand Learning Center
- Life College of Learning – Pretoria Learning Center
- Future Nurses Nursing School (Pty) Ltd
- Bronberg Nurse Education and Training Academy
- Lenmed Nursing College
- Emmanuel Verpleegskool Oudtshoorn (Pty) Ltd
- Arwyp Training Institute (Pty) Ltd
- Ukwazi School of Nursing
- Roodepoort Campus
- Mediclinic PTY (Ltd)- Learning Centre- Tshwane Region
- Mediclinic PTY (Ltd) Learning Center Northern Region
- Netcare Education Pty Ltd Gauteng North-East Campus
- Netcare Education Pty Ltd – Western Cape Campus
- Ukwazi School of Nursing Potchefstroom Campus
- Netcare Education Pty Ltd – Eastern Cape Campus
- Life College of Nursing – East London Learning Center
- Life College of Nursing – Port Elizabeth Learning Center
- Khanyisa School of Nursing – Bushbuckridge Sub-Campus
- Khanyisa School of Nursing – Tonga Sub-Campus
- Khanyisa School of Nursing – Witbank – Sub-Campus
- Khanyisa School of Nursing – Kroonstad – Sub-Campus
- Mediclinic Pty Ltd – Central Region Learning Center
- Mediclinic Pty Ltd – Limpopo Learning Center
- Lughile Nursing School – East London Sub-Campus
- Bloemfontein Medi Clinic
- Life College of Learning – Bloemfontein
- Clinix Health Academy
- Empilweni Education
- Letjhabile-Libalele Nursing School
- Thuto Bofelo Nursing School
- ABH Nursing School
- Mpumalanga Institute of Nursing
- Ndumiso Training Institute Nursing
- Netcare Education – Durban
- Shekinah Nursing School
- St Mary’s Marianhill Nursing School
- Academy of Nursing Education and Healthcare Training
- Cato Minor Technical College
- Chatsmed Candlelight Nursing School – Durban Campus
- D.T Institute of Nursing – Main Campus
- Gandhi Mandela Nursing Academy
- Life College KZN Learning Center
- Michaelmas Nursing School – PMB Main Campus
- Midlands School of Nursing
- Thembelani Further Education and Training College
- Life College – Midmed Learning Center
- Nelspruit Medi-Clinic
- African Healthcare Learning College (Pty) Ltd
- Keobakile Nursing School
Also Read: List of Accredited Nursing Schools in South Africa
Full List of Public Nursing Colleges Approved by the SANC to Provide Nursing Training and Courses
- Madwaleni Sub Campus
- Tafalofefe Sub Campus
- Victoria Sub Campus
- Lusikisiki Main Campus
- Lilitha College of Nursing
- East London Main Campus
- Butterworth Sub Campus
- Madzikane Ka-Zulu Sub Campus
- St. Patricks Sub Campus
- Mthatha Main Campus
- Dr. Malizo Mpehle Memorial Sub Campus
- Nessie Knight Sub Campus
- St Barnabas Sub Campus
- St Lucy’s Sub Campus
- Andries Vosloo Sub Campus
- Dora Ngiza Sub Campus
- Settlers Sub Campus
- Queenstown Sub Campus
- Midlands Sub Campus
- All Saints Sub Campus
- Glen Grey Sub Campus
- Umlamli Sub Campus
- Free State School of Nursing
- Northern Campus
- Chris Hani Baragwanath Campus
- SG Laurens Campus
- Rahima Moosa Campus
- Ga-Rankuwa Campus
- South African Military Health Service Nursing College (Gauteng)
- Kwazulu-Natal Collee of Nursing
- Addington Campus
- Boitumelo Sub Campus
- Eastern Campus
- Southern Campus
- Pelonomi Sub Campus
- Dr. JS Moroka Sub Campus
- South African Military Health Services (Free State Province)
- Gauteng College of Nursing
- Ann Latsky Campus
- Bonalesedi Campus
- Benedictine Campus
- Charles Johnson Memorial Campus
- Edendale Campus
- Grey’s Campus
- King Edward VIII
- Madadeni Campus
- Ngwelezane Campus
- Prince Mshiyeni Memorial Campus
- Port Shepstone Campus
- Standerton Sub Campus
- Henrietta Stockdale Nursing College
- Northwest Nursing College Mafikeng Campus
- Klerksdorp Campus
- Western Cape College of Nursing
- Boland Overberg Campus
- Metro West Campus
- Southern Cape Karoo Campus
- South African Military Health Service (Western Cape)
- R K Khan Campus
- Limpopo College of Nursing
- Giyani Campus
- Sekhukhune Campus
- Sovenga Campus
- Thohoyandou Campus
- Waterberg Campus
- Mpumalanga College of Nursing
- Rob Ferreira Nursing Campus
- Tintswalo Sub Campus
- Witbank Sub Campus
Universities in South Africa Registered With SANC to Offer Nursing Programmes
- University of Johannesburg
- Sefako Makgatho Health Services University
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Nelson Mandela University
- University of Forte Hare
- Walter Sisulu University
- University of Free State
- University of Pretoria
- University of Witwatersrand
- University of Kwazulu Natal
- Stellenbosch University
- Cape Peninsular University of Technology
- University of Western Cape
- University of Venda
- Potchefstroom Campus
- Mafikkeng Campus
- University of Cape Town
- Durban University of Technology
- University of Zululand
- University of Limpopo
Requirements to Study Nursing In South Africa
The journey to becoming a nurse in South Africa is marked by passion, perseverance, and a strong commitment to making a difference. It involves rigorous training, academic excellence, and the development of critical soft skills. This article aims to provide you with an in-depth understanding of what it takes to study nursing in South Africa.
Did you know that nursing is considered as one of the toughest courses in the world? Let’s delve into the specific requirements you’ll need to meet, the qualifications you’ll gain along the way, and the institutions that can help you reach your goal. Here’s what you need to know about the requirements to study nursing in South Africa.
- Matriculation Certificate: A National Senior Certificate (NSC) at diploma pass level is a basic requirement. Key subjects include Life Sciences and English, with at least 50% pass rate. Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy is also recommended.
- Health and Fitness: Due to the physical nature of the profession, it’s essential that you are in good health and physical condition. Some institutions may require medical certificates as proof.
- Criminal Record: Given the sensitive nature of the job, prospective students must not have a criminal record. Background checks are typically carried out by the institution.
- Registration: All prospective students must register with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) upon their acceptance into a nursing program.
South Africa offers various pathways to becoming a nurse:
- Diploma in Nursing: This is a three-year course offered by various nursing colleges.
- Bachelor of Nursing: This four-year degree is offered by several South African universities.
- Bridging Course: For enrolled nurses, a two-year bridging course can be taken to become a registered nurse.
Aside from the academic and physical requirements, there are several soft skills necessary for a nursing career:
- Compassion and Empathy: Nurses often work with people in vulnerable states, so these qualities are crucial.
- Communication Skills: Nurses need to communicate effectively with patients, their families, and other healthcare professionals.
- Problem-Solving Skills: The ability to make decisions quickly and under pressure is vital.
- Teamwork: Nurses often work in teams and need to cooperate and coordinate with other healthcare professionals.
Related: Best Study Apps for College Students
Top Institutions for Nursing Studies
South Africa is home to numerous prestigious institutions that offer nursing studies:
- University of Pretoria: This university offers a four-year bachelor’s degree in nursing science.
- University of Johannesburg: Known for its comprehensive nursing degree and diploma programs.
- University of the Western Cape: Offers a range of nursing qualifications, including advanced diplomas and postgraduate degrees.
- University of KwaZulu-Natal: Renowned for its practical and theoretical approach to nursing education.
Studying nursing in any of the top nursing colleges in South Africa requires a blend of academic excellence, physical fitness, and a passion for helping others. With these prerequisites, you’re well on your way to a rewarding career in this essential field.
Also Read: Top 20 Best High Schools In South Africa
Nursing Colleges In South Africa (Conclusion)
In conclusion, South Africa offers a range of top-tier nursing colleges, each with its unique strengths and specializations’. Whether you’re looking for a school that offers flexible learning schedules, a college that provides practical training in rural healthcare, or a university department that combines rigorous academics with cutting-edge research, you’re sure to find a school that fits your needs.
Remember, choosing a nursing college is a significant step towards your career in healthcare. As you consider these top nursing colleges in South Africa for 2023, focus on finding an institution that aligns with your personal and professional goals. This decision will help shape your future as a healthcare professional, so take your time, do your research, and choose wisely. Good luck on your journey to becoming a nursing professional!